This is a mandatory requirement ahead of the Powerboat Instructors course. If possible undertake the assessment 3-6 weeks before the Instructor course. Should you be given an action plan from the skills assessment this gives you time to brush up on any highlighted areas.
This is a three day instructor course run by an RYA Powerboat Trainer and assessed on the final day by an independent Trainer.
Candidates for the Pre-Assessment will be expected to demonstrate competence in:
- Hold off a mark
- Pick up and secure to a buoy
- Moor alongside up/downtide
- Turn using warps
- Turn in a confined space
- Recover a man overboard (dummy)
- Stop and start the engine
- Planing speed runs including figure 8 and ‘U’ turns
- Theory including charts, tides, buoyage, colregs and pilotage
The Powerboat Instructor course is ideal for:
- Those looking to teach the Powerboat Level 1, 2 and Safety Boat* courses at a registered RYA Training Centre.
- *PBIs must hold the RYA Safety Boat certificate in order to teach the course.
- Candidates should have logged at least five seasons’ experience of powerboating, preferably in a range of boat types and sizes.
- For those who use powerboats as an integral part of their normal full-time occupation, this period is reduced to one season.
- Assumed knowledge Candidates will hold the RYA National Powerboat Certificate (Level 2) and a valid First Aid Certificate of a type approved by the RYA. For more details on acceptable First Aid qualifications see here.
- Instructors wishing to teach the Safety Boat course must hold that level of certificate themselves
- It is recommended that attendees hold a VHF/SRC operators certificate.
- Candidates should be competent as a minimum to the standard of Level 2 (including the coastal endorsement) and will be required to demonstrate a range of practical and theoretical skills and knowledge from any aspect of the RYA Powerboat Level 2 Syllabus.
This assessment runs at various times over a half day period.
Minimum duration: 4 hours
16 years old.
This course operates with a maximum of 3 students per instructor/vessel
Prices, Booking and Special Offers
£80 per person;
Powerboat Instructor Package – £500 – Package offers 7% off the total price for the following courses:
- Half day mandatory Skills Assessment,
- RYA First Aid certificate (essential prior to attending a PBI course)
- 3 day Powerboat Instructor Course.
PBI Skills Assessment and PBI Course – £400 – Save 10% off the total price for the following courses:
- Half day mandatory Pre-Assessment,
- 3 day Powerboat Instructor Course.
What you need to bring, What’s Included and What’s Not!
- Passport Photograph – essential for us to issue your record card.
- Your certificates i.e. PB Level 2, VHF-SRC, First Aid certificate, any theory certificates
- Suitable Clothing: warm clothing ie. thin thermal layers, fleece, gloves, hat as well as sunglasses and unblock.
- Suitable Footwear: Deck shoes, Boots, Trainers.
- We provide waterproof clothing – if you have your own you are welcome to use your own equipment.
- We provide lifejackets – if you have your own you are welcome to use if – it must be a minimum of 150N and have been serviced in the last 12 months.
- Free Use of our waterproof clothing for the weekend – You are welcome to use your own equipment if you wish however they must be suitable for boating and clean and tidy with lifejackets of a minimum of 150N serviced within the last 12 months.
- A fully serviced lifejacket – min 150N
- Boat Fuel
- Free parking at our Training Centre
- Free hot drinks/biscuits at our Training Centre
- Course Publications – Students MUST have access to these publications during the course – they are availbel to buy on booking:
- RYA Powerboat Logbook (Ref G20)
- RYA Power Schemes Instructors Handbook (Ref G19) –
- RYA Start Powerboating (Ref G48)
- Lunch/Meals are not provided but we do have a small tuckshop with snacks/cold drinks for purchase, we have a cafe onsite (open 0900-1600 daily) and there are several local shops/cafes within a short walk to purchase food.
- Powerboat Logbook – these can be purchased on booking.
- Marina Parking – Portishead Quays Marina now operate parking charges in their car park managed through ANPR cameras. The first 15 mins is free with each hour costing £1 up to 6 hours. To park for between 6 and 24 hours costs £7. Payment can be made at the machines using coins or using paybyphone site number 79021. Failure to comply will result in a Parking Charge of £100
Read more about powerboating from our blog