Our 1 day Skills Development Day gets you afloat with one of our expert instructors giving you plenty of time afloat to practice and develop your close quarter and high speed boat handling and passage making. A fun, practical day afloat.
This can also be done on your own boat.
Your instructor will cover the following topics with you during your time with him/her:
- Leaving and coming alongside
- Operating in a confined space
- Man overboard
- Handling at planing speed
- Use of waypoints and routes
- Pilotage plans for harbour entries
- Any other areas you wish to cover
We aim to maximize the time you spend afloat and minimize the classroom time.
This 1-day course is aimed at those who already hold a Powerboat Level 2 certificate and wish to develop their skills further. Great if you are looking to hire a boat abroad and are a little bit rusty.
- Those who have recently qualified and wish to develop their base skills and/or,
- Those who are a little rusty and wish to brush up on their skills.
All candidates must hold a RYA Powerboat Level 2 (Coastal) certificate (or equivalent) as a minimum qualification to attend this course. You will be asked for your certificate number on booking
9am-5pm each day with approximately 45 mins for lunch
Minimum Duration: 1 day
Minimum age 12 years old.
We are generally happy for a child over 12 to attend a course with a paying parent/guardian on our boats at any time – please call to discuss.
Children over 16 can attend a normal course at any time but we must have the parent/guardian’s specific permission – please call to discuss.
If you want a child of under 16 to attend on their own then they must attend one of our dedicated Children’s Courses see the Children’s Courses section
This course operates with a maximum of 3 students per instructor/vessel
Prices, Booking and Special Offers
£200 per person;
Book for 2 people or more at £175 p/p
Powerboat Development – £270 This package offers 10% off the total price for the following courses :
- Powerboat Development Day
- Introduction to Night Navigation Training
What you need to bring, What’s Included and What’s Not!
- Your RYA Powerboat Level 2 certificate (or higher).
- Suitable Clothing: warm clothing ie. thin thermal layers, fleece, gloves, hat as well as sunglasses and unblock.
- Suitable Footwear: Deck shoes, Boots, Trainers.
- We provide waterproof clothing – if you have your own you are welcome to use your own equipment.
- We provide lifejackets – if you have your own you are welcome to use if – it must be a minimum of 150N and have been serviced in the last 12 months.
- Free Use of our waterproof clothing for your course – You are welcome to use your own equipment if you wish however they must be suitable for boating and clean and tidy with lifejackets of a minimum of 150N serviced within the last 12 months.
- A fully serviced lifejacket – min 150N
- Boat Fuel
- Free parking at our Training Centre
- Free hot drinks/biscuits at our Training Centre
- Lunch/Meals are not provided but we do have a small tuckshop with snacks/cold drinks for purchase, we have a cafe onsite (open 0900-1600 daily) and there are several local shops/cafes within a short walk to purchase food.
- Powerboat Logbook – these can be purchased on booking.
- Marina Parking – Portishead Quays Marina now operate parking charges in their car park managed through ANPR cameras. The first 15 mins is free with each hour costing £1 up to 6 hours. To park for between 6 and 24 hours costs £7. Payment can be made at the machines using coins or using paybyphone site number 79021. Failure to comply will result in a Parking Charge of £100