Cruising boats increasingly have radar on board and the International Regulations for the Prevention of Collisions at Sea state that if you have a radar, you must know how to use it.
Radar is probably the most versatile of all electronic navigation aids, but the best results are only obtained when you know how to use all the functions correctly.
The aim of the course is to teach students to use small boat Radar to assist decision making in navigation, pilotage and collision avoidance.
The Theory: Your instructor will introduce you to:
- Basic theory of how the radar works
- Switching on and Setting Up, adjusting the controls
- Refining the Picture – adjusting the sea/rain clutter controls correctly and changing the orientation
- Understanding the picture and Types of radar display
- Radar reflectors
- The implications of IRPCS when in restricted visibility
The Practical: Using one of our radar simulators you will have a go at:
- Fixing position by radar, plot the vessels position, use of the ERM and VBL
- Radar plotting
- The use of radar in navigation and collision avoidance: Understands how to determine the risk of collision with another vessel; CPA, course and speed;
- The existence of automatic radar plotting aids (ARPA & MARPA);
The RADAR course is ideal for:
- Those with their own boats who have radar on board
- Those without a boat who are looking to charter a vessel with a radar set on board or looking to progress through the RYA qualifications.
- RADAR is now an essential part of the YM Syllabus and is tested during an RYA/MCA Advanced Powerboat, Yacht Master Coastal or Yacht Master Offshore exam.
No prior experience is necessary although an understanding of the basic collision regulations is advantageous.
9am-5pm with approximately 45 mins for lunch
Minimum Duration: 1 day
There is no minimum age for this course however all students under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a paying adult
This course operates with a maximum of 8 students per instructor
£110 per person;
Book for 2 people at £100 p/p or book for 3 or more at £95p/p
There are no course bundles for this course
What you need to bring, What’s Included and What’s Not!
- Pen and Notebook
- RYA Radar exercises workbook (RC98)
- Free parking at our Training Centre
- Free hot drinks/biscuits at our Training Centre
- Lunch/Meals are not provided but we do have a small tuckshop with snacks/cold drinks for purchase, we have a cafe onsite (open 0900-1600 daily) and there are several local shops/cafes within a short walk to purchase food.
- RYA Introduction to Radar (G34) – these can be purchased on booking
View Dates and Book Online
Read more about our shorebased courses from our blog