This is a mandatory requirement ahead of the Powerboat Instructors course. If possible undertake the assessment 3-6 weeks before the Instructor course. Should you be given an action plan from the skills assessment this gives you time to brush up on any highlighted areas.
This is a three day instructor course run by an RYA Powerboat Trainer and assessed on the final day by an independent Trainer.
Candidates for the Pre-Assessment will be expected to demonstrate competence in:
- Hold off a mark
- Pick up and secure to a buoy
- Moor alongside up/downtide
- Turn using warps
- Turn in a confined space
- Recover a man overboard (dummy)
- Stop and start the engine
- Planing speed runs including figure 8 and ‘U’ turns
- Theory including charts, tides, buoyage, colregs and pilotage
The Powerboat Instructor course is ideal for:
- Those looking to teach the Powerboat Level 1, 2 and Safety Boat* courses at a registered RYA Training Centre.
- *PBIs must hold the RYA Safety Boat certificate in order to teach the course.
- Candidates should have logged at least five seasons’ experience of powerboating, preferably in a range of boat types and sizes.
- For those who use powerboats as an integral part of their normal full-time occupation, this period is reduced to one season.
- Assumed knowledge Candidates will hold the RYA National Powerboat Certificate (Level 2) and a valid First Aid Certificate of a type approved by the RYA. For more details on acceptable First Aid qualifications see here.
- Instructors wishing to teach the Safety Boat course must hold that level of certificate themselves
- It is recommended that attendees hold a VHF/SRC operators certificate.
- Candidates should be competent as a minimum to the standard of Level 2 (including the coastal endorsement) and will be required to demonstrate a range of practical and theoretical skills and knowledge from any aspect of the RYA Powerboat Level 2 Syllabus.
This assessment runs at various times over a half day period.
Minimum duration: 4 hours
16 years old.
This course operates with a maximum of 3 students per instructor/vessel
Prices, Booking and Special Offers
£80 per person;
Powerboat Instructor Package – £500 – Package offers 7% off the total price for the following courses:
- Half day mandatory Skills Assessment,
- RYA First Aid certificate (essential prior to attending a PBI course)
- 3 day Powerboat Instructor Course.
PBI Skills Assessment and PBI Course – £400 – Save 10% off the total price for the following courses:
- Half day mandatory Pre-Assessment,
- 3 day Powerboat Instructor Course.
What you need to bring, What’s Included and What’s Not!
- Passport Photograph – essential for us to issue your record card.
- Your certificates i.e. PB Level 2, VHF-SRC, First Aid certificate, any theory certificates
- Suitable Clothing: warm clothing ie. thin thermal layers, fleece, gloves, hat as well as sunglasses and unblock.
- Suitable Footwear: Deck shoes, Boots, Trainers.
- We provide waterproof clothing – if you have your own you are welcome to use your own equipment.
- We provide lifejackets – if you have your own you are welcome to use if – it must be a minimum of 150N and have been serviced in the last 12 months.
- Free Use of our waterproof clothing for the weekend – You are welcome to use your own equipment if you wish however they must be suitable for boating and clean and tidy with lifejackets of a minimum of 150N serviced within the last 12 months.
- A fully serviced lifejacket – min 150N
- Boat Fuel
- Free parking at our Training Centre
- Free hot drinks/biscuits at our Training Centre
- Course Publications – Students MUST have access to these publications during the course – they are availbel to buy on booking:
- RYA Powerboat Logbook (Ref G20)
- RYA Power Schemes Instructors Handbook (Ref G19) –
- RYA Start Powerboating (Ref G48)
- Lunch/Meals are not provided but we do have a small tuckshop with snacks/cold drinks for purchase, we have a cafe onsite (open 0900-1600 daily) and there are several local shops/cafes within a short walk to purchase food.
- Powerboat Logbook – these can be purchased on booking.
- Marina Parking – Portishead Quays Marina now operate parking charges in their car park managed through ANPR cameras. The first 15 mins is free with each hour costing £1 up to 6 hours. To park for between 6 and 24 hours costs £7. Payment can be made at the machines using coins or using paybyphone site number 79021. Failure to comply will result in a Parking Charge of £100
All afloat and ashore RYA Courses are delivered under the RYA RTC Recognition for Compass Sea School Ltd. We operate from our Ashore Training Centre In Kestrel Court Portishead (see here for more details) and from Portishead Quays Marina for our afloat training sessions.
Read more about powerboating from our blog