A half day workshop introducing some simple radar theory, different types of small boat radars, simple radar set up and try out your new found skills on our radar simulator.
The aim of the workshop is to provide students with a basic introduction to marine Radar to assist decision making in navigation, pilotage and collision avoidance.
You might have radar on your boat, but do you know how to use it to its fullest abilities? Can you tell the difference between a boat and a buoy, or a rain storm and a sand spit? All of those blips and blobs can be deceiving, so every good mariner should have an understanding of exactly what radar is and how it works.
The Theory: Your instructor will introduce you to:
- Basic theory of how the radar works
- Switching on and Setting Up, adjusting the controls
- Refining the Picture – adjusting the sea/rain clutter controls correctly and changing the orientation
- Understanding the picture and Types of radar display
- Radar reflectors
The Practical: Using one of our radar simulators you will have a go at:
- Fixing position by radar, plot the vessels position, use of the ERM and VBL
- The use of radar in collision avoidance: Understands how to determine the risk of collision with another vessel;
Ability after workshop:
You will be able to correctly switch on, set up and refine the picture, plot a vessels position and understand the fundamentals of collision avoidance.
We offer some great pre-paid course/workshop bundles that offer you a great deal usually saving between 5 and 15% off the RRP. We run 6 different workshops and you can purchase all 6 at a reduced price – effectively you are buying 5 and getting one free! These offers are availed for single bookings only.
We offer discount prices on all of our courses/workshops when you book for 2 or more people attending the same session. The more people you book for the cheaper the sessions become. These workshops are £60 per/person or £50 p/p when you book for 2 or more. Savings are applied automatically when you select your numbers during the booking process.