Advanced training for more experienced skippers building on the Day Skipper course. This course equips you to navigate safely on coastal and offshore passages.
An advanced level course in navigation, chartwork and all aspects of planning and executing longer coastal passages and channel crossings. Essential requirement for many commercial roles and instructor qualifications
It is strongly recommended that students have a good grasp of theory subjects to Day Skipper standard and have thoroughly revised the Collision Regulations before attending.
This course will take your theory knowledge to the standard required for the Yachtmaster™ Coastal and Yachtmaster™ Offshore practical exams, concentrating on advanced navigation and meteorology skills.
As with the Day Skipper shorebased course, the RYA’s specially designed chart plotter software will be used during the course to give you a realistic taste of modern electronic navigation.
The course is taught over 40 hours with three exam papers. It can be covered as a series of short sessions, as an intensive week-long course, or by distance learning.
Our session are taught over 2 x 3 day weekend sessions
Course topics include:
- position fixing
- course shaping and plotting
- tidal knowledge
- use of almanacs and admiralty publications
- electronic position finding equipment
- taking and interpreting forecasts
- plotting weather systems
- weather predictions using a barometer and by observation
- collision regulations
- customs and excise regulations for cruising abroad
It allows some time for revision of the basics and then moves on to advanced navigation techniques.
- On the final weekend of the course you will sit three papers – one focuses on the collision regulations, one on passage planning and the final assessment on chartwork.
- The course thoroughly addresses everything that comes up in the papers so you can be assured that you will find them pretty straightforward as they are simply a way to sum up all you have learnt at the conclusion of the course.
The RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Shorebased course is ideal for:
- Those looking to improve their navigational and theory skills to an advanced level,
- those looking to undertake a Coastal Skipper or Yachtmaster CoC
This is the top level RYA navigation theory course for either those looking to work commercially or experienced leisure users. The entry requirement is the RYA Dayskipper Theory course. If you do not hold this qualification then we would seek reassurance from speaking to you that you have a commensurate level of experience.
The course is aimed at those who already have the RYA Dayskipper Theory course (or a comparable level of knowledge) and whilst covering a syllabus very similar to the Dayskipper Theory syllabus does so in far more detail and to a far greater depth.
9am-5pm with approximately 45 mins for lunch
Minimum Age 16 years
There are 3 exams:
- Passage Planning
Prices, Booking and Special Offers
£399 per person;
Book for 2 people at £350 p/p
Advanced Commercial Skipper – £699 – Package offers 10% off the total price for the following courses:
- Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Theory Course
- RYA Advanced Powerboat Course
- Professional Practices and Responsibilities (PPR) On-Line Course
What you need to bring, What’s Included and What’s Not!
- Pen/Pencils and Notebook
- Ideally you will have your own Navigation Equipment – Portland Plotter and Divider Set
- RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Theory Course pack which includes course notes and RYA Training Charts. The workbooks that you complete as the course proceeds are also yours allowing you to practice again after the course if you wish
- Loan of the RYA Training Almanac for the duration of your course. If you wish to purchase your own Training Almanac these can be purchased on booking.
- Loan of a Portland Plotter and Dividers – If you wish to purchase your own these can be purchased on booking.
- Free parking at our Training Centre
- Free hot drinks/biscuits at our Training Centre
- Lunch/Meals are not provided but we do have a small tuckshop with snacks/cold drinks for purchase, we have a cafe onsite (open 0900-1600 daily) and there are several local shops/cafes within a short walk to purchase food.
- Your own Portland Plotter and dividers set – these can be purchased on booking
- Your own Training Almanac – these can be purchased on booking
Read more about our shorebased courses from our blog