A one-day beginners course to help you prevent and solve diesel engine failure. Mechanical failure is the main cause of rescue call-outs to cruisers. Basic maintenance and engine care will help ensure that you are not part of this statistic. Most engine problems can be avoided by taking simple precautions, and you don’t need a detailed mechanical knowledge.
Most engine problems can be avoided by taking simple precautions, and you don’t need a detailed mechanical knowledge.
This course teaches you how your engine works, how to keep it healthy by using basic checks and maintenance procedures, and how to get it started again in the event of a breakdown.
Whether you sail a yacht with an auxiliary diesel engine or are a motor cruising enthusiast, this course could not just save you money, but one day could save your life.
Course topics include:
- the principles of diesel engine operation
- the systems and parts of the engine
- fault finding
- rectification of common problems
- bleeding the fuel system
- changing the impeller
- routine maintenance
- winter lay up procedures
Mechanical failure is the main cause of rescue call-outs to cruisers. Basic maintenance and engine care will help ensure that you are not part of this statistic.
The Diesel Engine course is ideal for:
- Anyone setting to sea on a diesel engine vessel
No prior experience is necessary
9am-5pm with approximately 45 mins for lunch
There is no minimum age for this course however all students under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a paying adult
Prices, Booking and Special Offers
£95 per person;
Book for 2 people at £90 p/p or book for 3 or more at £85p/p
What you need to bring, What’s Included and What’s Not!
- Pen and Notebook
- Suitable clothing – this course using a range of training aids taken from a range of engines.
- We suggest old clothes or clothes that you don’t mid getting a little dirty.
- RYA Diesel Engine Course Notes
- Free parking at our Training Centre
- Free hot drinks/biscuits at our Training Centre
- Lunch/Meals are not provided but we do have a small tuckshop with snacks/cold drinks for purchase, we have a cafe onsite (open 0900-1600 daily) and there are several local shops/cafes within a short walk to purchase food.
Read more about our shorebased courses from our blog