Our one-day course covers all the usual first aid subjects, but from a boating perspective. It is aimed at anyone who goes afloat, whether on inland waters, rivers, estuaries or on cross channel passages.
In a medical emergency a little first aid knowledge and immediate action can save lives, especially in remote locations. This one-day course is designed to provide a working knowledge of first aid for people using small craft and to support skippers.
It fulfils the requirements for:
- first aid training for vessels working up to area Category 2 under the Maritime and Coastguard Agency Codes of Practice for Small Vessels Operated Commercially;
- first aid training needed by offshore racers subject to World Sailing’s Offshore Special Regulation OSR 6.05.2;
- the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations, 1981 for the purposes of Emergency First Aid at Work.
The subjects specific to boating include:
- the recovery position in a confined space
- CPR, including the drowning protocol
- cold shock and hypothermia from immersion and/or exposure
- seasickness and dehydration
- medical assistance or advice by VHF
- helicopter rescue
The First Aid at Sea course is ideal for:
- Anyone setting to see on small craft
- It is essential for those looking to seek a commercial endorsement
No prior experience is necessary
9am-5pm with approximately 45 mins for lunch
There is no minimum age for this course however all students under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a paying adult
Prices, Booking and Special Offers
£95 per person;
Book for 2 people at £85 p/p or book for 3 or more at £80p/p
There are no course bundles for this course
What you need to bring, What’s Included and What’s Not!
- Pen and Notebook
- RYA First Aid at Sea Manual
- Free parking at our Training Centre
- Free hot drinks/biscuits at our Training Centre
- Lunch/Meals are not provided but we do have a small tuckshop with snacks/cold drinks for purchase, we have a cafe onsite (open 0900-1600 daily) and there are several local shops/cafes within a short walk to purchase food.
Read more about our shorebased courses from our blog