Our one-day course covers all the usual first aid subjects, but from a boating perspective. It is aimed at anyone who goes afloat, whether on inland waters, rivers, estuaries or on cross channel passages.
In a medical emergency a little first aid knowledge and immediate action can save lives, especially in remote locations. This one-day course is designed to provide a working knowledge of first aid for people using small craft and to support skippers.
It fulfils the requirements for:
- first aid training for vessels working up to area Category 2 under the Maritime and Coastguard Agency Codes of Practice for Small Vessels Operated Commercially;
- first aid training needed by offshore racers subject to World Sailing’s Offshore Special Regulation OSR 6.05.2;
- the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations, 1981 for the purposes of Emergency First Aid at Work.
The subjects specific to boating include:
- the recovery position in a confined space
- CPR, including the drowning protocol
- cold shock and hypothermia from immersion and/or exposure
- seasickness and dehydration
- medical assistance or advice by VHF
- helicopter rescue
The First Aid at Sea course is ideal for:
- Anyone setting to see on small craft
- It is essential for those looking to seek a commercial endorsement
No prior experience is necessary
9am-5pm with approximately 45 mins for lunch
Minimum Duration: 1 day
There is no minimum age for this course however all students under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a paying adult
This course operates with a maximum of 12 students per instructor
Prices, Booking and Special Offers
£95 per person;
Book for 2 people at £85 p/p or book for 3 or more at £80p/p
There are no course bundles for this course
What you need to bring, What’s Included and What’s Not!
- Pen and Notebook
- RYA First Aid at Sea Manual
- Free parking at our Training Centre
- Free hot drinks/biscuits at our Training Centre
- Lunch/Meals are not provided but we do have a small tuckshop with snacks/cold drinks for purchase, we have a cafe onsite (open 0900-1600 daily) and there are several local shops/cafes within a short walk to purchase food.
All afloat and ashore RYA Courses are delivered under the RYA RTC Recognition for Compass Sea School Ltd. We operate from our Ashore Training Centre In Kestrel Court Portishead (see here for more details) and from Portishead Quays Marina for our afloat training sessions.
Read more about our shorebased courses from our blog