This course is an introduction to boating techniques for launching and recovering a boat from a road trailer, everyday boat handling and the use of safety equipment.
A one day course providing a practical introduction to boat handling and Safety in powerboats. Many students normally go straight to Level 2, which is also perfect for beginners but we would recommend Powerboat Level 1 as a natural start for the more hesitant or young crew.
- Launch and recovery (8-11 year olds observe)
- Preparation of boat and crew, boat handling, picking up and securing to a mooring buoy, leaving and coming alongside, being towed
We aim to maximize the time you spend afloat and minimize the classroom time.
The Level 1 course is ideal for:
- Those new to boating who want to develop their base skills and,
- 8-11 Year olds
No prior boating experience is necessary.
9am-5pm each day with approximately 45 mins for lunch
Minimum age 8 years old.
We are generally happy for a child 8-14 to attend a course with a paying parent/guardian on our boats at any time – please call to discuss.
Children over 16 can attend a normal course at any time but we must have the parent/guardian’s specific permission – please call to discuss.
If you want a child of under 16 to attend on their own then they must attend one of our dedicated Children’s Courses see the Children’s Courses section
Candidates under the age of 16 will be issued with an endorsed certificate
Prices, Booking and Special Offers
£175 per person;
Book for 2 people at £150 p/p or book for 3 or more at £133 p/p
“Book the Boat”! Book for 3 people and pay a total price of 400 – offer available during specific booking times.
There are no Course Bundles available for this course
What you need to bring, What’s Included and What’s Not!
- Suitable Clothing: warm clothing ie. thin thermal layers, fleece, gloves, hat as well as sunglasses and unblock.
- Suitable Footwear: Deck shoes, Boots, Trainers.
- We provide waterproof clothing – if you have your own you are welcome to use your own equipment.
- We provide lifejackets – if you have your own you are welcome to use if – it must be a minimum of 150N and have been serviced in the last 12 months.
- Free Use of our waterproof clothing for the weekend – You are welcome to use your own equipment if you wish however they must be suitable for boating and clean and tidy with lifejackets of a minimum of 150N serviced within the last 12 months.
- A fully serviced lifejacket – min 150N
- Boat Fuel
- Free parking at our Training Centre
- Free hot drinks/biscuits at our Training Centre
- Lunch/Meals are not provided but we do have a small tuckshop with snacks/cold drinks for purchase, we have a cafe onsite (open 0900-1600 daily) and there are several local shops/cafes within a short walk to purchase food.
- Powerboat Logbook – these can be purchased on booking.
- Marina Parking – Portishead Quays Marina now operate parking charges in their car park managed through ANPR cameras. The first 15 mins is free with each hour costing £1 up to 6 hours. To park for between 6 and 24 hours costs £7. Payment can be made at the machines using coins or using paybyphone site number 79021. Failure to comply will result in a Parking Charge of £100
Read more about powerboating from our blog