This 1-day Own Boat Tuition course is the starting block for providing the skills and background knowledge to become a competent powerboat driver by day in familiar waters.
- Those new to boating who want to develop their base skills and,
- Those who have some experience but who want to develop their skills and ensure they are approaching their boating the right way.
Once we have received your booking we will be in touch to discuss dates/requirements.
Max 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 children per booking.
99 in stock
The Basics: Your instructor can introduce you to the basics such as:
- How your lifejackets and boat safety equipment works,
- How to safely get onboard, tie and untie the lines, some essential knots and,
- How to make sure the boat is properly balanced.
- Launch and Recovery techniques
- IRPCS (International Regulations for the Prevention of Collision at Sea), weather forecasts and emergency actions
- Basic Navigation, tides, chartwork and passage planning
- Slow Speed: Your instructor will demonstrate some slow speed manoeuvres including: bring the boat alongside the pontoon, mooring to a buoy, confined space turns before you have a go at the helm and get to grips with the basics of slow speed handling techniques.
- High Speed: With direct access to the Bristol channel you will head out through the lock gates to master the art of high speed handling including: ‘S’ turns, ‘U’ Turns, figures of eight, boat handling in currents and tides. Students will have a go at stemming the tide (trying to keep the boat stationary) in the challenging and fast moving tidal flow with the Bristol Channel offering the 2nd highest tidal range in the world!
- Man Over Board (MOB) You will need to master the essential skill of recovering a man over board – don’t worry though the only one getting wet is “Freeda” our fender
- Navigation: You will put your basic navigation passage plan into practice and be introduced to electronic navigation skills using our on board chart plotters
Ability at the end of the course:
- To be able to handle a Powerboat in fair weather and daylight hours.
Minimum Equipment List
You will be asked to confirm on booking that your vessel has the following serviceable equipment:
Marina Based Close Quarter Handling Sessions
- Bilge pump (manual as well as electric)
- Fire extinguishers and fire blanket
- Lifejackets plus safety strops (Not necessary if you are borrowing our lifejackets)
- Man overboard recovery equipment e.g. lifering, danbouy
- VHF Radio
- Depth and Speed Guages
- Tool kit
- Engine spares – fuel/oil filters, drive belt, impeller spare oil
Coastal Channel High Speed Sessions – In addition to the equipment above vessels must also have:
- Radar reflector
- Flares for the waters in which you will use your boat
- Navigational equipment (Almanac, charts, plotter, dividers and GPS)
- First Aid kit
- Mooring warps and fenders
- Spare fuel
Own Boat Tuition Booking
Own boat tuition or delivery. Tuition / Delivery is provided on the following basis:
- The vessel is insured by the owner for loss, damage and legal liability to third parties
- The owner remains the skipper and legally responsible for the safe management of the vessel at all times (including when under tuition) and will not hold the Instructor responsible for any loss or damage.
- The owner undertakes to secure the consent of the insurers to this agreement
- Own boat tuition will only be undertaken on a vessel owned by the person attending the course
For this session you can have up to 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 children on-board, which makes it great value.
- Please note for training conducted outside the marina these timings include lock in / lock out times.
- Customers should note that these bookings will need to be confirmed by Compass Sea School and all dates are subject to instructor availability and tides. If the date you require is not available please call us to discuss.
- All courses are both weather and tide dependent – Our instructors decision is final
Minimum Age 12 years old, 12-16’s must be accompanied by an adult,
Own Boat Tuition
Customers should note that these bookings will need to be confirmed by Compass Sea School and all dates are subject to instructor availability and tides