The RYA Marine Radio Short Range Certificate (SRC) is the minimum qualification required to operate fixed and handheld marine VHF radio equipment (with and without DSC) on a UK flagged vessel.
Your online course price includes the VHF handbook as an E-Book – you can find out more about e-books at: https://www.rya.org.uk/shop/ebook-info/epacks
If you would prefer to receive your handbook as a printed version please select the additional postage/packing option below.
980 in stock
The RYA Marine Radio Short Range Certificate (SRC) is the minimum qualification required to operate marine fixed and handheld VHF radio equipment (with and without DSC) on a UK flagged vessel.
It is obtained by successfully completing an SRC exam conducted at an RYA Recognised Training Centre.
The SRC course may be taken in a classroom or online through an RYA Recognised Training Centre. There is no age limit for taking the SRC course although exam candidates must be 16 years old on the day of the exam.
Course subjects include:
- routine operation of marine VHF radio including Digital Selective Calling
- the correct VHF channels (frequencies) to be used for each type of communication
- distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- ship to shore communication
- practical use of Marine VHF DSC radios
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue Transponders (SART)
VHF-SRC Course Taster
The online Marine Radio SRC course is a web-based course for your PC, Mac or tablet. Before purchasing the course from your RYA Recognised Training Centre, we advise you to check the compatibility information below and then try the taster to make sure it will work on your device.
For this web-based course you will need:
- Internet connection (broadband or 3G). Charges may apply for 3G
- Microphone and speakers/headphones
- Pop-ups enabled
Compatible devices and operating systems:
- PC running Windows 10 minimum with the latest version of Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome or Firefox
- Mac running 10.13 minimum with the latest version of Safari, Google Chrome or Firefox
- iPad running iOS11 minimum using Safari
- Android tablet running 4.1 minimum using Google Chrome.
The exam is a combination of a written theory test and practical assessment in the use of Marine VHF DSC radios. Candidates must be 16 years or older on the day of the exam.
Your Online Account
Once you have completed your payment your information will be forwarded to us for processing.
Students have to be manually logged into the RYA sight before login details can be provided.
The login usually is created within 2 working days of booking but can take longer depending on the time of the booking and the availability of the RYA site.
Our aim is to provide the login as soon as we can.