A two-day course covering basic boat handling, engine checks and safety.
This course perfectly suits those keen to try out Motor Cruising and get a feel for handling such a craft.
Boat preparation, boat handling, types of craft, engines and drives, engine operation and maintenance, safety and seamanship, rules of the road, securing to a buoy, berthing alongside, man overboard recovery
This course aims to teach boat handling and seamanship in motor cruisers. By the end of the course you will feel comfortable berthing and unberthing in straightforward locations and should be confident in general boat handling.
This course is ideal for new owners conscious of the difficulty and hazards of boat handling in the marina.
It is useful for crews as well as skippers. Apart from the obvious safety benefits of extra boat handlers on board, it adds interest if everyone can contribute to the trip.
At the end of this course you will be competent to a handle motor cruiser of a specific type in sheltered waters.
No experince is required.
The Essential Navigation & Seamanship interactive course compliments this course perfectly.
9am-5pm each day with approximately 45 mins for lunch
Minimum Duration: 2 days
Minimum age 12 years old.
We are generally happy for a child over 12 to attend a course with a paying parent/guardian on our boats at any time – please call to discuss.
Children over 16 can attend a normal course at any time but we must have the parent/guardian’s specific permission – please call to discuss.
If you want a child of under 16 to attend on their own then they must attend one of our dedicated Children’s Courses see the Children’s Courses section
This course operates with a maximum of 5 students per instructor/vessel
Prices and Special Offers
£550 per person;
- 2 people at £500 p/p
- 3 people at £450 p/p
- 4 people at £400 p/p
What you need to bring, What’s Included and What’s Not!
- Passport Photograph – essential for us to issue your certificate.
- Suitable Clothing: warm clothing ie. thin thermal layers, fleece, gloves, hat as well as sunglasses and unblock.
- Suitable Footwear: Deck shoes, Boots, Trainers.
- We provide waterproof clothing – if you have your own you are welcome to use your own equipment.
- We provide lifejackets – if you have your own you are welcome to use if – it must be a minimum of 150N and have been serviced in the last 12 months.
- RYA Yachtmaster Scheme Syllabus and Logbook
- Free Use of our waterproof clothing for the weekend – You are welcome to use your own equipment if you wish however they must be suitable for boating and clean and tidy with lifejackets of a minimum of 150N serviced within the last 12 months.
- A fully serviced lifejacket – min 150N
- Boat Fuel
- Free parking at our Training Centre
- Lunch/Meals are not provided – we have a cafe onsite (open 0900-1600 daily) and there are several local shops/cafes within a short walk to purchase food.