This two-day entry level course provides the skills and background knowledge needed to to become a competent powerboat driver by day in familiar waters and is the basis of the International Certificate of Competence (ICC)
The course focuses on low speed close quarters handling, man overboard recovery, an introduction to driving at planing speed, and collision regulations. You’ll learn how to safely helm and crew the boat as well as getting an introduction to marine navigation.
We aim to maximize the time you spend afloat and minimize the classroom time.
At low speed you will safely bring the boat alongside a pontoon and learn to turn the boat in a confined space before heading out into the Bristol Channel to conduct the planing speed manoeuvres of S turns, U turns and figure of eight, picking up a buoy and the crucial skill of MOB recovery. As we operate in one of the worlds largest tidal ranges we will also look to master the skills of stemming a tide.
The Level 2 course is ideal for:
- Those new to boating who want to develop their base skills and,
- Those who have some experience but who want to develop their skills and ensure they are approaching their boating the right way.
- Those looking to hire a boat abroad and who require an ICC.
No prior boating experience is necessary.
The course equally suits those new to boating and those who have been boating for years.
Most people take Level 2 and bypass Level 1.
You do not need to already have Level 1 before you take Level 2.
9am-5pm each day with approximately 45 mins for lunch
Minimum Duration: 2 days
Minimum age 12 years old.
We are generally happy for a child over 12 to attend a course with a paying parent/guardian on our boats at any time – please call to discuss.
Children over 16 can attend a normal course at any time but we must have the parent/guardian’s specific permission – please call to discuss.
If you want a child of under 16 to attend on their own then they must attend one of our dedicated Children’s Courses see the Children’s Courses section
An International Certificate of Competence (ICC) is often considered as the international ‘boat driving licence’. It is usually required by countries/operators if you wish to use your own craft abroad or to charter one and we’re offering 10% off our June 2016 course dates.
The RYA powerboat level 2 is the basic level course allowing you to rent a boat abroad once you have obtained your ICC boat handling license (International Certificate of Competence). You can find out more about the ICC here
What class of ICC can I get?:
Restricted Power (Coastal) – vessels up to 10m, Coastal – ICCs for vessels up to 10m are obtained via the Powerboat Scheme completing a minimum of the Level 2 course.
Unrestricted Power (Coastal) – vessels up to 24m, Coastal (Own Boat Only) or for those having successfully completed the Advanced Powerboat RYA/MCA Certificate of Competence (note this is not the RYA Advanced course candidates must have passed the exam), or who hold an RYA Day Skipper Motor certificate.
Inland – To obtain the ‘Inland endorsement’ you need to undertake an additional short online test – the ‘CEVNI’ test see here for more details.
Your ICC is valid for 5 years.
Applying for your first ICC:
To obtain an ICC, you must complete an ICC application form in full and sign the declaration. You can download the ICC application form from the website or request a copy from the RYA Certification Department.
This should be sent to the RYA Certification Department, together with:
- a passport sized photograph (with your name on the reverse);
- evidence that your nationality does not preclude you from being issued with an ICC by the RYA;
- evidence of your competence (relevant sections of the application form have been signed to say you have passed the ICC assessment or the ICC CEVNI test or photocopies of any certificates you are presenting as evidence) are enclosed; and
- payment (including the fast track fee if required)
- Renewing an ICC
- The ICC is valid for 5 years.
This course operates with a maximum of 3 students per instructor/vessel
Prices and Special Offers
£290 per person;
Book for 2 people at £280 p/p or book for 3 or more at £270 p/p
“Book the Boat”! Book for 3 people and pay a total price of £650 – offer available during specific booking times.
New Skipper ~ Essentials – £350 – This package offers 10% off the total price for the following courses :
- RYA Level 2 Powerboat Course (RRP £285) and,
- VHF-SRC Radio Classroom course (RRP £99) – NOTE package does not include the VHF-SRC Exam fee of £60
Commercial Skipper ~ Essentials – £570 – This package offers a 10% discount off the total advertised prices and includes all of the necessary training courses for customers to complete their Level 2 Commercial Endorsement and covers the following courses:
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 (2 days)
- RYA First Aid at Sea (1 day)
- RYA Sea Survival (1 day)
- VHF-SRC Radio Course (1 day Classroom course) NOTE: £60 exam fee is not included in this package
- Professional Practices and Responsibilities (Online)
What you need to bring, What’s Included and What’s Not!
- Passport Photograph – essential for us to issue your certificate.
- Suitable Clothing: warm clothing ie. thin thermal layers, fleece, gloves, hat as well as sunglasses and unblock.
- Suitable Footwear: Deck shoes, Boots, Trainers.
- We provide waterproof clothing – if you have your own you are welcome to use your own equipment.
- We provide lifejackets – if you have your own you are welcome to use if – it must be a minimum of 150N and have been serviced in the last 12 months.
- RYA Start Powerboating book or e-book
- Free Use of our waterproof clothing for the weekend – You are welcome to use your own equipment if you wish however they must be suitable for boating and clean and tidy with lifejackets of a minimum of 150N serviced within the last 12 months.
- A fully serviced lifejacket – min 150N
- Boat Fuel
- Free parking at our Training Centre
- Free hot drinks/biscuits at our Training Centre
- Lunch/Meals are not provided but we do have a small tuckshop with snacks/cold drinks for purchase, we have a cafe onsite (open 0900-1600 daily) and there are several local shops/cafes within a short walk to purchase food.
- Powerboat Logbook – these can be purchased on booking.
- Marina Parking – Portishead Quays Marina now operate parking charges in their car park managed through ANPR cameras. The first 15 mins is free with each hour costing £1 up to 6 hours. To park for between 6 and 24 hours costs £7. Payment can be made at the machines using coins or using paybyphone site number 79021. Failure to comply will result in a Parking Charge of £100
View dates and Book Online
Read more about powerboating from our blog