This 4 course provides the skills and background knowledge needed to to develop your ability to confidently handle the vessel whilst also spending time on navigation and making a short coastal passage.
It is the basis of the International Certificate of Competence (ICC)
The RYA Day Skipper practical motor course is four days long making it the best course for those new, or with a little experience of motor cruising and wishing to Skipper their own motor cruiser. This RYA training course is designed to consolidate what you learned on the RYA Day Skipper Theory Course by offering practical application for what you need to know to safely navigate a motor cruiser in local waters berthing in marinas or anchorages in secluded spots. You will also learn to handle the boat in close quarters situations. This course is also available as Own Boat Tuition.
We aim to maximize the time you spend afloat and minimize the classroom time.
This course can also help you get the best out of electronic navigational aids such as GPS and radar, which are now virtually standard equipment on modern motor cruisers.
At low speed you will safely bring the boat alongside a pontoon and learn to turn the boat in a confined space before heading out into the Bristol Channel to conduct the planing speed manoeuvres picking up a buoy and the crucial skill of MOB recovery.
As we operate in one of the worlds largest tidal ranges we will also look to master the skills of stemming a tide.
Your instructor will cover the following topics with you during your time with him/her:
- Safety & preparation for sea
- Boat handling including leaving & coming alongside
- Navigation including use of electronic navigation techniques
- Pilotage & passage planning
- Rules of the road
- Emergency situations including man overboard
- Night cruising
- Collision regulations
The Day Skipper Practical course is ideal for:
- for those new, or with a little experience of motor cruising and wishing to Skipper their own motor cruiser.
- Those looking to hire a boat abroad and who require an ICC over 10m.
Candidates should have some experience and be keen to develop their knowledge onto the next level.
This course is extremely popular as success on it entitles the holder to apply for their ICC
It is recommended that you attend the Day Skipper Shorebased Course before taking this practical course or have theory knowledge to the level of Day Skipper.
9am-5pm each day with approximately 45 mins for lunch
The course also includes an evening passage on on of the days which will mean a slightly later finish.
Minimum Duration: 4 days
Minimum age 16 years old.
For younger boaters see the Helmsman Course (min age 12) or Start Motor Cruising (min age 8)
An International Certificate of Competence (ICC) is often considered as the international ‘boat driving licence’. It is usually required by countries/operators if you wish to use your own craft abroad or to charter one and we’re offering 10% off our June 2016 course dates.
The RYA powerboat level 2 is the basic level course allowing you to rent a boat abroad once you have obtained your ICC boat handling license (International Certificate of Competence). You can find out more about the ICC here
What class of ICC can I get?:
Unrestricted Power (Coastal) – vessels up to 24m, Coastal
Inland – To obtain the ‘Inland endorsement’ you need to undertake an additional short online test – the ‘CEVNI’ test see here for more details.
Your ICC is valid for 5 years.
Applying for your first ICC:
To obtain an ICC, you must complete an ICC application form in full and sign the declaration. You can download the ICC application form from the website or request a copy from the RYA Certification Department.
This should be sent to the RYA Certification Department, together with:
- a passport sized photograph (with your name on the reverse);
- evidence that your nationality does not preclude you from being issued with an ICC by the RYA;
- evidence of your competence (relevant sections of the application form have been signed to say you have passed the ICC assessment or the ICC CEVNI test or photocopies of any certificates you are presenting as evidence) are enclosed; and
- payment (including the fast track fee if required)
- Renewing an ICC
- The ICC is valid for 5 years.
This course operates with a maximum of 5 students per instructor/vessel
Prices and Special Offers
£950 per person;
- 2 people at £900 p/p
- 3 people at £850 p/p
- 4 people at £800 p/p
What you need to bring, What’s Included and What’s Not!
- Passport Photograph – essential for us to issue your certificate.
- Suitable Clothing: warm clothing ie. thin thermal layers, fleece, gloves, hat as well as sunglasses and unblock.
- Suitable Footwear: Deck shoes, Boots, Trainers.
- We provide waterproof clothing – if you have your own you are welcome to use your own equipment.
- We provide lifejackets – if you have your own you are welcome to use if – it must be a minimum of 150N and have been serviced in the last 12 months.
- RYA Yachtmaster Scheme Syllabus and Logbook
- Free Use of our waterproof clothing for the weekend – You are welcome to use your own equipment if you wish however they must be suitable for boating and clean and tidy with lifejackets of a minimum of 150N serviced within the last 12 months.
- A fully serviced lifejacket – min 150N
- Boat Fuel
- Free parking at our Training Centre
- Lunch/Meals are not provided – we have a cafe onsite (open 0900-1600 daily) and there are several local shops/cafes within a short walk to purchase food.