The top level commercial and leisure qualification for boaters seeking to helm craft up to 24m/200 tonnes. Run on our craft or on your own vessel.
A 4 day preparation run by a YMI to cover all aspects of the YM Exam to ensure that your skills and knowledge are at the right standard for you to undertake your exam at the end of the week.
Our exam preparation course will be run by a RYA Yachtmaster Instructor who over the four days will aim to cover each of the areas that will be addressed in the exam. The exam looks at your boat handling, your understanding of all aspects of boating and navigation and particularly your ability to take command of and manage the vessel and crew.
During the course the Instructor will run sessions to help you to improve all of the tested areas and ensure that you are best placed to pass the exam. Some areas may simply be a refresher whereas others may brush up an area you have got quite rusty on, either way it is really key that you are at the right level for the exam before coming on this course as if there are areas that need material improvement then it is probable that you are not yet at the right level for the examination.
Your instructor will cover the following topics with you during your course:
- Boat handling
- General seamanship including maintenance
- Responsibilities as skipper
- Lights & Signals
The Yachtmaster Offshore Preparation course & exam is ideal for:
- Leisure boaters keen to achieve the ultimate qualification available to them yet who have no intention of working commercially
- Those helming larger motor cruisers for corporate entertainment type work.
- Boat operators keen to work in the wind farm or renewables sector helming the support vessels operating out to their operating sites
- Those involved in construction or towing type craft and venturing offshore or on passage around the UK
- Military or Law enforcement operators operating craft and in locations necessitating the YM Offshore qualification
- Those seeking Boatmaster qualifications can use the YM Offshore as a route to Boatmaster
- Superyacht crew aiming for Master 200/500/3000 type qualifications
This level of training is suitable for you if you have been boating for a number of years and have operated on board as skipper or navigator. You will need to hold the following qualification before starting the exam:
- RYA VHF certificate
- A valid First Aid Certificate (within 3yrs of the exam)
- RYA Yachtmaster Theory course.
Please ensure that you meet the RYA exam pre-requisites prior top booking onto this course – for the most up to date list see the RYA page HERE.
The preparation will include at least one night pilotage session so the course timings will vary.
Day one will be 9am – 5pm and your instructor will discuss the plan with you on the first day.
Start and finish times for days incorporating the night pilotage will vary depending on the season.
Minimum Duration: 4 days
Minimum age 18 years old.
Maximum of 4 students to one instructor / vessel – usually we operate with no more than 3 students.
Prices and Special Offers
£1250 per person;
Your exam fee is payable directly to your examiner – for the latest exam fees please see the RYA website at: https://www.rya.org.uk/courses-training/exams/Pages/exam-fees.aspx
No special Prices apply
What you need to bring, What’s Included and What’s Not!
- Suitable Clothing: warm clothing ie. thin thermal layers, fleece, gloves, hat as well as sunglasses and unblock.
- Suitable Footwear: Deck shoes, Boots, Trainers.
- We provide waterproof clothing – if you have your own you are welcome to use your own equipment.
- We provide lifejackets – if you have your own you are welcome to use if – it must be a minimum of 150N and have been serviced in the last 12 months.
- Free Use of our waterproof clothing for the course- You are welcome to use your own equipment if you wish however they must be suitable for boating and clean and tidy with lifejackets of a minimum of 150N serviced within the last 12 months.
- A fully serviced lifejacket – min 150N
- Boat Fuel
- Free parking at our Training Centre
- Lunch/Meals are not provided – we have a cafe onsite (open 0900-1600 daily) and there are several local shops/cafes within a short walk to purchase food.
- RYA Exam Fees