International Certificate of Competence

Q: How do I get an ICC and do I need one in the UK?

A: The International Certificate of Competence (ICC) is documentary assurance from one government to another that the holder meets the levels of competence laid down in something called Resolution 40 (a UN resolution affecting some European waters). It is not a qualification, but is accepted in lieu of a qualification in some countries which require boat users to be qualified. The type of ICC needed depends on the type of boat you plan to use abroad. To use a power driven vessel up to 10 metres you can use a powerboat Level 2 certificate to apply to the RYA for an ICC. For larger motor boats the minimum is a Day Skipper power certificate. Alternatively you can take an ICC test for either discipline – call or email us for more details. You don’t need an ICC for UK waters as the UK is unusual in that we don’t require leisure users to have any formal training, instead encouraging owners and users to seek their own training; accordingly the UK has some of the best marine leisure training available in the world, and also one of the best safety records.

You can find out more about the ICC on the RYA’s website click here or click here to download the application form.

Categories: FAQs

2 replies »

Leave a Reply