NOTE: This course is delivered both in the classroom and virtually. Please check the course details when you book.
A comprehensive introduction to cruising for inexperienced skippers
An excellent 6 day course (run over 2 long weekends) that really goes into detail on areas such as navigation, charts, tides, safety and all manner of other subjects to give you a really good grounding ensuring you you have the navigation skills to undertake short coastal passages
Day Skipper theory is a comprehensive introduction to cruising for less experienced skippers.This course equips you with enough knowledge to undertake short coastal passages by day. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising.
Courses take into account developments in technology and the electronic navigation aids now available on most cruising boats.
The Day Skipper theory course students are taught the basics of coastal and inshore navigation and pilotage including chartwork, position fixing, plotting a course to steer, weather forecasting, a knowledge of tides and the International Regulations for Prevention of Collision at Sea. The first time you safely navigate to a new destination will give you an immense feeling of satisfaction. As well as navigation the RYA Day Skipper theory course will give students an understanding of different yacht types and the equipment they carry as well as safety procedures such as distress calls, use of flares, safety harnesses, life jackets and liferafts.
The syllabus covers:
- Nautical terms
- Collision Regulations
- Definition of position, course and speed
- Navigational charts and publications
- Navigational drawing instruments
- Tides and tidal streams
- Visual aids to navigation
- Passage planning
- Navigation in restricted visibility
- Marine environment
- On the final day of the course you will sit two papers – one focuses on the collision regulations and the other on the navigation aspects of the course.
- The course thoroughly addresses everything that comes up in the papers so you can be assured that you will find them pretty straightforward as they are simply a way to sum up all you have learnt at the conclusion of the course.
The RYA Day Skipper Shorebased course is ideal for:
- Those looking to improve their basic navigational and theory skills
No prior experience is necessary although some experience on the water is desirable
9am-5pm with approximately 45 mins for lunch
Minimum Duration: 40 hours of instruction plus exams
There is no minimum age for this course however all students under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a paying adult
2 exam papers: Chartwork and a General Paper
This course operates with a maximum of 10 students per instructor
For courses being delivered virtually – All students will receive their Day Skipper Shorebased materials via post/courier prior to the course.
Students will require access to a broadband connection, access to an electronic device ideally a laptop or PC that has a webcam and have a space that you can work in i.e. a desk/table that you can use for your charts that can accommodate A2 size paper.
This is delivered as an instructor led virtual course offering interactive and engaging sessions with your dedicated instructor. These sessions will use as many of our regular teaching methods as possible and will still be incredibly hands on even if you are at the other end of a virtual broadband pipe! This does also remove the requirement for you all to travel / stay away from home which we hope will also help.
Prices & Special Offers
£350 per person;
Book for 2 people at £325 p/p or book for 3 or more at £299p/p
Day Cruising Skipper – £550 – Package offers 15% off the total price for the following courses:
- RYA Day Skipper Shorebased
- RYA Day Cruising (Intermediate) Course
What you need to bring, What’s Included and What’s Not!
- Pen/Pencils and Notebook
- Ideally you will have your own Navigation Equipment – Portland Plotter and Divider Set
- RYA Dayskipper Theory Course pack which includes course notes and RYA Training Charts. The workbooks that you complete as the course proceeds are also yours allowing you to practice again after the course if you wish
- RYA Training Almanac for the duration of your course.
- Loan of a Portland Plotter and Dividers – If you wish to purchase your own these can be purchased on booking.
- Free parking at our Training Centre
- Free hot drinks/biscuits at our Training Centre
- Lunch/Meals are not provided.
- Your own Portland Plotter and dividers set – these can be purchased on booking