Getting started with Boating!

100_2531Getting started in boating can be a complicated affair with so many courses to choose from and equipment to buy the costs can soon mount up. We offer our customers honest and impartial advice so that you only buy what you really need – but we do find that often our customers are so hooked with our courses, mile-builders and handling sessions that they keep coming back for more! So what exactly are the training and certification requirements for a new skipper??

Whilst you don’t have to hold a boating licence in the UK to operate a small pleasure craft if you are considering boating abroad there are different rules depending on which country you are visiting with some countries requiring an International Certificate of Competence (ICC).  You can find out more from the RYA here.

We believe in offering our customers value for money on all of our courses so we have created “New Skipper Essentials” a pre-paid package offering 10% off the RRP.  The New Skipper Essentials package at £350 ~not only saves you money and includes an RYA Powerboat Level 2 and VHF-SRC Course. Full details on how to access these great deals are here.

We recommend that you attend the 2 day RYA Powerboat Level 2 course (suitable for vessels up to 10m) where you will learn the basics for both theory and practical to get you afloat safely. You can find out more about the Level 2 course here and you can get afloat with our students on our Youtube channel here.

If you have boat your own vessel and you have on-board electronics then you need to have them properly licensed – click here for more info. If you have a VHF radio on-board or a re operating a handheld then youIMG_2232 need to register your equipment with Ofcom and get your own VHF-SRC Licence. This can be done in 2 ways either through an on-line training course or a classroom based 1 day course – either way you will have to sit an exam at a recognized training centre to get your course completion certificate.  You can see both options here.

Some equipment is mandatory for Pleasure Vessels of 13.7m in length and over. Depending on how far from the coast you venture, you may be required by law to have items such as a liferaft, lifebuoys, lifejackets, flares, a marine radio and a boarding ladder.

For Pleasure Vessels of less than 13.7 metres in length there are no statutory requirements for safety equipment other than those required under SOLAS V.

If you have any questions we are here to help simply email with your query or give us a call on 07788 185382 and one of our friendly instructors will be able to chat through your options.


Leave a Reply