Advanced PB Training

How do I get the RYA Advanced Certificate of Competence?

If you are looking to work commercial on board a power vessel up to 24m up to 20nm from a Safe haven in Cat 2-6 waters then you will need to pass the RYA/MCA Advanced Exam to get your Advanced Certificate of Competence before you can apply for your commercial endorsement. This blog answers some of the FAQs that we get asked and shows you which courses you may need to take depending on your experience level and knowledge. 

Do I have to attend any courses before I apply for an Exam?

No, you don’t HAVE to have attended any courses you need to be at least 17 years old with a minimum sea time of 2 years relevant experience including night pilotage. (As a guide 30 days, 2 days as skipper, 800 miles, 12 night hours). Candidates for Advanced Power Boat certificates of competence should have theory knowledge to the level of the RYA Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster shore based syllabus.

I have attended the RYA Advanced Powerboat course does that reduce the sea time?

Yes. If you hold an RYA Advanced Powerboat Course Completion Certificate the seatime is reduced to: 20 days, 2 days as skipper, 400 miles, 12 night hours. You still require theory knowledge at the level of Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster or above.

What is the ideal pathway to achieving my RYA Advanced Powerboat Course?

The ideal and recommenced route to Advanced starts at the RYA Level 2 Powerboat Course, builds through the RYA Intermediate (Day Cruising) Course with students attending the Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper Theory courses as shown below. You don’t have to attend all of the courses and where you start may depend on your experience and skill levels, we are happy to discuss this with you. We often find that students have considerable experience on board vessels and have some great practical skills but are missing some of the underpinning theory knowledge required to go up through the levels. We run all of the theory courses and often find that students who have not attended either a Day Skipper theory or CS/YM theory will struggle with the theoretical elements on the practical courses in particular Navigation and chartwork, IRPCS and LIghts, shapes and sounds. If you think that you have the required practical skills you can go straight from Level 2 to Advanced, or you can join the scheme at any point. The progression below is the recommended route.


What supporting courses do I need?

In addition to the practical elements there are a few support course certificates that you will need to hold if you are looking to commercially endorse your Certificate of Competence.

You must hold the following – click the links for more details and to book:

  1. VHF-SRC Operators Licence – either a 1 day course (£99) or online course (£75) plus an exam (£60)
  2. RYA First Aid Certificate (or other acceptable first aid certificate) (£95)
  3. Sea Survival certificate – this can be an RYA or MCA STCW 95 certificate (£105)
  4. Professional Practices and Responsibilities (PPR) online course completion certificate (£39)

How much does it cost?

The total cost depends on which course you need but to give you an idea if you attend all of the Practical courses: L2, Intermediate & Advanced and do both the Day Skipper and CS/YM Theory the total cost would be approx £1850

The supporting courses: VHF/SRC, First Aid, Sea Survival and PPR come to approx £400.

On top of this you will need to factor in your Advanced Exam Fee, Boat Hire and your Medical Fee (usually approx £100-£125 for an ML5)

So your total cost could be as much as £2600! We like to think that we can get you qualified for a cost more in the region of £1500-£1800 but that does depend on your existing skills and qualifications.

Do you offer a “Zero – Hero package”?

We know that all of our students have different levels of expertise and qualifications and therefore we don’t offer a Zero to Hero package – we talk through with each student what course they need and how best to achieve them.

Leave a Reply